Powered By Blogger

Friday, October 10, 2014

HOW WE SHOULD LEARN TO ENDURE BODILY AILMENT


THE VOICE OF JESUS.-My child, after the scourging, while My whole body was drip­ping with blood, behold the soldiers led Me into the courtyard of the governor's residence, and there, gathered together were the whole band.

And plaiting a crown of thorns, they placed it cruelly upon My head, and put a reed in My right hand.

And they came one by one, and bending their knee before Me, they mocked me; and rising They toolk the reed and struck My head so that the points of the thorns pierced My head on every side.

Now, My child, My suffering had come to an unutterable excess and even to My last sigh, as long as the crown remained, where they to go on with ever-increasing violence.

Behold, I dragged Myself, My limbs worn, My joints bruised, all My senses sickly, weary, and, though the excess of pain, hardly under My control.

From the soles of My feet, even to the top of My head, there was in Me no soundness, neither within nor without.

My child, you will never perfectly understand these torments of My Passion until you suffer similar ones, when you feel your body writhing with pain, and your soul undone by afflictions. When man is despoiled of fortune, reputation or other external possessions, it is hard, indeed, and distressing to nature; but it is much harder and much more distressful to be tortured by the pains of bodily ailments.

For in these outward things, by greatness of soul, with the aid of grace, a person can raise himself so far as either to forget or not to heed the cause and effect of his troubles; but in bodily ailments, he cannot avoid feeling that which he feel, and whatever he may do, al­ways and everywhere he has his aching self with him.

However, if sickness is the greater pain, it procures also greater advantages for him that suffers rightly.

Let it be your chief care to endure the same with a heart well disposed, and to follow there­in, as much as you can, the dispositions of My Heart.

And first, when you feel any indisposition, accept it as a dispensation of the love of My Heart, and say, at least interiorly: "Blessed be the Lord, because He has visited His servant!" And although you feel that you do so only with difficulty, do not neglect it; for you will thereby more easily overcome reluctant nature, and gain more merit.

Next, resign yourself to the divine will in the best manner you are able, and renew this holy resignation as frequently as possible, being assured that you shall derive the greatest strength and comfort.

Afterwards, unite your sufferings with Mine, and do this by repeated acts, for various ends which your need, advantage, or even your piety may suggest.

By this divine union, overflowing with the function of grace, your affliction will be soothed, and will become for you lighter and sweeter.

Lastly, to help you to persevere and to possess your soul in peace, constantly withdraw, as far as possible, your attention, and even your thoughts, from the causes of your sufferings and from the sufferings themselves; direct your mind to My example and the unconquerable patience of the Saints; and think how boundless, how sweet a reward you shall obtain in heaven, unless you lose it by voluntary impatience.

Meanwhile, since you need much grace, and by yourself can do nothing profitable according to your strength, persist in prayer, especially in short and fervent terms: "Behold, Lord, he whom You did love even to death is sick... Lord, grant me patience. Give me resignation. Grant me to be united with You unto the end."

And if your infirmity increases, you will ex­hibit a conduct most worthy of a disciple of My Heart, if you do actually offer to Me your body as a living victim, and accept death at the time and in the manner that may be most pleas­ing to Me.


Know that whatsoever you may do to the contrary, you shall occasionally be in­ clined to dejection of spirit. Remember that this is the effect of sickly and languishing nature, whereby you should not at all be made uneasy. Only take care that you do not yield to it, or indulge in it of your own accord. For by giving scope and indulgence to it, you would both increase your suffering and render your heart ill-disposed.

If at any time your suffering and anguish should bring you so far as to be hardly able to use the powers of your soul with conscious­ness, remain quietly in My arms; neither en­deavor, with violence or anxiety, to excite with­in you any acts or affections, but be satisfied with remaining calmly resigned to Me.

Blessed is he that in sickness adheres perse­veringly to the saving will of My Father! For so long as he is united to the divine good plea­sure, he repose upon My Heart, and all is safe.

My child, do not be despondent in mind, nor feel distressed on account of the greatness or the length of your sufferings; remember that several of the Saints dragged out a life amidst the pains of sickness, and thereby sanctified themselves because they were resigned; and re­flect that however great and lasting your pain may be, it is as nothing compared to the un­measured and ever-enduring joy whereby your patience shall be rewarded in heaven.

Call to mind that My torments and My mar­tyrdom lasted as long as My life; and remem­ber that 1 endured all this willingly for love of you. By these things you shall be much assisted, to bear with constancy your afflictions for love of Me.

Show not yourself voluntarily peevish or im­patient toward those who take care of you. Your illness will often make them appear to you careless or neglectful.

As often as it is needed or useful, you may freely make known with humility and charity whatsoever you think is necessary or advan­tageous for you. But, meanwhile, you should feel so disposed that, whether your desire be granted or refused, you will continue to be calm and resigned.

Patiently bear, as not the least portion of your illness, whatsoever you may have to en­dure 'from them that have care of you. For under the disagreeable circumstances wherein you are placed this may have great merit.

Beware, lest under pretense of infirmity you indulge the flesh. Herein do many err, who by sickness, are not only not made better, but ra­ther worse, becoming lovers of their body and slaves of their passions.

Give to the body what is due the body; but neither in good nor in ill health; neither in life nor in death, minister food to the inor­dinate propensities of the flesh; which, as in health so also in sickness, are dangerous, and therefore to be mortified.

In a spirit of mortification, submit to what­ever unpleasant remedies may be prescribed. This mortification is the more precious, and a proof of purer love for Me, as it is irksome and further removed from natural inclination. While you are sick, do not trouble your­self with desires of attending to your office or employment, of laboring for yourself or others, or performing works of piety; or of doing other good things that are incompatible with your infirmity.

Such things serve for nothing but to cause you useless affliction, to disquiet you to no good purpose. and to displease Me.

Those things I do not require of you, what I ask for the present is that you suffer with a good heart and be resigned to the divine will. Do what I desire of you, and leave all the rest to My providence, which knows how to order everything rightly without you.

Look to it, My child, that when sick you be not anxious to follow your own guidance. For it is especially at this time that, being blinded, you would blindly lead yourself into some pre­cipice.

Hearken religiously to your superiors, and suffer yourself to be directed by Me through them. Honor the physician for the need you have of him, and obey him in simplicity of heart.

Do not harm yourself, through negligence or carelessness, while you are sick; but use re­medies in a reasonable manner, praying God, from whom is all healing, that if it be for your good, He may design to heal you.

Having done so, however, serious the disease may be, believe that it is something advanta­geous for you, since it is the divine will.

Come, My child, be willingly a martyr to suffering for My love, who, through every ex­cess of pain, became the chief of all martyrs.

Have patience, have patience! Behold, still a little while, and your grief shall be turned into joy; and I Myself-who for love of you was crowned with thorns-will crown you with hon­or and glory.

THE VOICE OF THE DISCIPLE. - Blessed are You, O Lord, who visit Your servant, that in time You might mercifully prepare me for eternity!

I suffer much, Lord Jesus; You know it. As­sist me with Your grace; strengthen me with Your love. If You will that my pain be lasting, increase Your grace, increase my patience.


No comments:

Post a Comment